Cleansing diets, herbs and fasting have been used as a form of healing by many cultures for centuries. And a number of religions have also encouraged fasting as a spiritual practice for mind, body and spirit.
In current times, our body is susceptible to a much larger burden of toxins, chemicals and other environmental pollutants, which is resulting in more chronic disease occurring now than in any other time in history. Therefore a regular cleansing program is a necessity for good health as our body functions poorly when toxicity is present. Detoxification is one of the most important measures a person can ever take, to not only prevent disease, but also to reduce and heal disease already within the body. Detoxification is also the most natural and gentle way to lose weight.
Some effects of toxicity include poor digestion, a sluggish bowel, weight gain, inflammation, poor concentration, anxiety, low energy and a multitude of other symptoms that are not pleasant to live with.
Here are a few simple tips to begin a gentle cleansing program that will have you feeling more energized and vibrant in a matter of days.
- Cut out all alcohol, sugar, gluten, red meat and dairy products.
- Eat a very light dinner and go to bed by 10pm.
- Rest, have a full nights sleep, practice yoga and meditation.
- Drink 2 to 3 liters of filtered water per day.
- Breathe deep into the belly.
- Swim in the ocean, walk in nature.
- Drink fresh vegetable juice for 1 to 2 days per week.
- Visit a spa and enjoy a detoxifying body scrub, wrap and massage.
- Use a dry body brush, sweat in an infrared sauna, exercise to improve circulation.
- Only use natural and organic skincare, hair care, toothpaste, deodorant, make up and all personal care products.
- Only use natural house cleaning products and clothes washing detergents.
- Participate in a full 3 to 7 day supervised fasting program.
- Visit a health retreat or take time out to have a healthy holiday.
Make many of these rituals and practices a daily habit and a way of living to combat the stressors of our toxic world. And enjoy a healthier, happier you!
Sonja Sorich is the director of spa and wellness for Mt Lofty House and has over 16 years of experience as a wellness ambassador working alongside top practitioners in internationally acclaimed spa’s and health resorts.